Roger. Call the ball…. Top Gun Day is May 13th. What is Top Gun Day? Well it’s like talk like a pirate day, only way cooler because it allows you to quote Top Gun all day long, wear aviator sunglasses (no matter how cheap), pretend you’re a fighter pilot (“it’s time to buzz the fridge”), play volleyball in jeans, and drink Hemlock–wait, wait–I mean ICE water. Participating in Top Gun Day is so easy even Slider can do it (read the next post title, “How do I Participate?”).
Now that you’re convinced that this is the best day ever join us on our Facebook Fan Page and recruit your fellow naval aviators by spreading the word on Facebook and Twitter. We also have a You Tube Channel filled with all sorts of Top Gun movies!
Ice Man out!
- On May 13th update your social network profile picture / avatar to be anything Top Gun related. Use an image from our photo gallery or get creative and make your own. If you do make your own we’d love it if you could share it with us. If it’s good we’ll post it to our user gallery so other people can use it.
- Use as many Top Gun lines throughout the day as possible. For example, say your friend Jim asks you what you’re doing on Friday night, you should respond: “Hey Jim, you stink”.
- Wear aviator sunglasses. Cheap or expensive. Inside or out. Just don’t “Scratch one”!
- Grab your Top Gun Day T-Shirt and “CALL THE BALL!”
- Go to a bar…wearing a flight suit or aviator wings and order a glass of Hemlock.
- Call your friends and tell them, “I’m going to Top Gun!” and then hangup.
- Buy some rubber dog shit.
- Don’t wear deodorant and only respond to the name, Slider.
- Join us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter!
Use your imagination, there is NO wrong way to participate. If Slider can do it, so can you.
Don’t forget! Sign up for a reminder below. Don’t worry, we won’t spam and you can disable the reminders at any time. Once you’ve signed up for reminders we’ll shoot you an email a week or two before Top Gun Day, which in case you already forgot, is May 13th.
Top Gun Day T-Shirts – Support TGD!
The shirts have finally arrived, but quantities are limited! Show your support for Top Gun Day and snag your shirt today. It’s hard to read in the image, but the shirt says, “Top Gun Day May 13th” and “I Was Inverted – Maverick”.
We threw this store together to make it easier for you to find gear so you can celebrate Top Gun Day properly. Its got everything from aviator glasses (check out the ones for $5.45!), to costumes, to Top Gun on Blue Ray. Seriously, ever true naval aviator and Top Gun Day supporter needs a pair of aviator glasses, even if you only wear them one day a year!
If you’ve already ordered your Top Gun Day tee and still find that you need more, check out 80sTees.com. They have a few pretty funny Top Gun tees, so if you want so check them out. I am ordering a few myself.
Let’s have some fun. Email me (iceman [at] topgunday.com) some creative titles for Top Gun 2. Here are some:
Top Gun 2:
There’s One ‘O’ in Two
The Pattern is Full
Call the Ball
Hard Deck My Ass
Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell
Click here to get a reminder email when Top Gun Day is close. Don’t worry, we won’t spam and you can disable the reminders at any time. Once you’ve signed up for reminders we’ll shoot you an email a week or two before Top Gun Day, which in case you already forgot, is May 13th.
We intended for Top Gun Day to be observed on the day the movie was released, which was May 16th, 1986. Problem is, that’s Iron Eagle Day. I know, I know, that blows–the ugly step child gets the real day.
Actually, that’s not true, and as far as I know there is no Iron Eagle Day. The real story is we screwed up when creating a few graphics and by the time we caught the error the word was already out.
It turns out that choosing the 13th was serendipitous for a few reasons. First, since Top Gun Day is so HUGE we would overshadow any chatter about the movie itself! Second, since the dates are so close it means Top Gun Day can be enjoyed a few days straight. Lastly, well, I could tell you, but then I’d have to kill you.
We really are cowboys. Hemlock anyone?